Tuesday, July 17, 2007

1,2,3,4,5 Drivers in a Week

So Deepak 2 quit, claiming the commute was too far. "Don't worry, I won't leave until you find someone," he said. His brother-in-law agreed to take the job on Saturday at 11:30 am. By 3 pm, he'd changed his mind.
Then Deepak 2 called Sunday, saying he had to report to work on Monday morning somewhere else and that he couldn't find anyone. (Translation: I found someone willing to pay me more.) Nitin said he wouldn't pay him for the week we worked unless he found us another driver. That got results... He said he had a friend named Misra who would report Monday.
Monday morning brought a man named Pandey. We were confused, but said "He, he moves. Let's have him drive our car." On the way out, a guy named Misra showed up. Too late, we said, but call us tonight if we don't like Pandey.
We didn't. He honked all the way to Vasant Vihar t(to Naya's school) and didn't get out of the car to help me with laptop, bookbag, tiffins and child. Sound familiar?
Nititn released him at 11 with 100 rupees and a half-salute. Luckily Misra called.
We said report to work at 8:30 am so we can see how you drive.
He drove Naya to school and me to work. He helped with bags. He still honks but not as much.
We'll see...

6 comments:

Pete said...

Maybe you are just too demanding of a passenger?

Ericka Bigelow said...

Hi Mitra,

I'm looking through your blog for the first time. I can't believe how grown-up Naya is. Curazee.

Oh, and that Pete guy doesn't know what he's talking about. :)

Katia said...

I want a driver to

Katia said...

... take me from Brooklyn to Manhattan every day (and back).

Nitin said...

i used to ride my bike to work from park slope to chelsea, ha!

Katia said...

Pregnant?